Henry Ford knew the carriage trade just wanted faster horses, so he didn't ask them. Instead, he bedded down with the builders of new forms of mobility and production, and within 10 years, the carriage builders were out of business...and the US economy never looked back.
...which is why we need a "Model TDT" (for "Think & Do Tank"). And, by “we” I mean every community.
Propelled by talent-sharing, fueled by consensus-building, and produced by social entrepreneurship, these three legs offer a new stool we can all use to step up to our sustainability challenges.
Because sustainability is a place-based science, each community needs new ways to integrate and apply our burgeoning knowledge-base on all aspects of sustainability...for their own circumstances.
Each has the talent, creativity, and leverage required to forge their own solution pathways “at scale, for all” their own people.
Yet, to get’r done “in time”, we’ll need innovation in our governance process…and that’s what a TDT represents.
- First, we’ll need our major institutions to collaborate, since no one of them can resolve our sustainability challenges alone.
- Second, we’ll need our “best-and-brightest” and our “deep pockets” to ally with this new mission, since we cannot do this without them.
- Third, we’ll need new forms of engagement, and agreement, and initiative.
So, above and beyond all the initiatives currently underway, we’ll need a new vehicle to propel our communities through this transition as swiftly as possible.
OK, so mebbe you should think of faster horses…(heh)
Better yet, think of this as herding our horses.
- Through a community resilience lense, we see that co-creation capability is a game-changer.
- Through a community technology lense, we see that knowledge sharing is a key success factor.
- And through a citizen science lense, we see that uncertainty is a certainty…so we gotta get over it.
The Model TDT is intended to help each community move forward through these uncertain times.
Howzat? Come back for more on how this innovation process is unfolding on my island...
Oh, and, BTW: the inspiration for the "Model TDT" is the (original) Sustainability Institute, founded by my heroine, Donella Meadows, as a "think & do tank".Â Â Mahalo, Dana!...now methinks we're all gonna need one of these...